One of the newest nutrition trends is the idea of Superfoods. We’ve all heard of them. Blueberries with the anti-oxidants, and kale with all the phytonutrients, and so on. While I’m more of a “All things in moderations (including – on occasion – moderation)” kind of guy, I really like the concept. By loading our bodies with hyper-healthy goodies, we begin to show the kind of love and attention we so richly deserve. Most of them require very little processing, keeping all that healthy goodness right where it’s supposed to be. One that’s a particular favorite for me is salmon.
Super high in Omega-3 fatty acids, Salmon has been purported to improve everything from eyesight and depression, to weight loss and sexual health. I’m not a nutritionist. All that stuff might be true. All I know is that there’s times when my body is craving salmon, so I give it salmon and all is well. For me, it’s that perfect combination of quick and easy to prepare while still looking elegant as all snot on the plate.
Four recipes for today:
Here’s the kitchen coordination:
- Turn on the oven, with your broiling surface inside.
- Turn on the stovetop and get your water boiling.
- Make your gnocchi batter.
- Drop your brussels sprouts into the boiling water and let simmer while you,
- Prep your fish.
- Transfer the fish to the broiling surface, and transfer sprouts from the water to their skillet, and
- Begin fish broil/sprout roasting
- Poach your gnocchi in the same water still boiling from the sprouts, transfer to their skillet
- Gnocchi skillet into the oven for 2 minutes
- Shut off the oven, and sip wine for about 10 minutes
Total time, under 30 minutes. In other words, you’re sitting at your table eating in less time than it takes to get a pizza delivered.